Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 10:50:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chester City FC  (Read 6726 times)

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
Chester City FC
« on February 26, 2010, 11:56:00 am by WSBBA_Ben »
On a day when all the talk is about Pompey, how many Chelsea players have played away more than the fixture list suggests and where Wayne Bridge is going on holiday between June and July, spare a thought for Chester City, a club which is currently in the most dire state it's ever been in in it's 125 year history.

We were there, stood staring at the celebrating Colchester fans on that day in 1998, wondering how we would fill our Saturday afternoons, how we'd feel when the fixture lists came out and Doncaster Rovers weren't there, empty doesn't really cut it as an adjective to describe the strife the Deva Stadium faithful are in.

I admit, I never really warmed to Chester City; they battered us 3:0 on a day when Barry Richardson failed to turn up, as I remember, Alford missed a penalty too, just to compound our day. But the play offs were something else, to this day, I have never celebrated a goal as much as I did when Tris Whitman had a pop from 20 odd yards in the 95th minute of the 1st leg. What about the return leg; the band of Rovers fans, behind the goal and down the side rocking the tiny little stands - Warrington was world class that day and we'd booked our place at Stoke.

It's a real shame what has happend to Chester City and I fear for more smaller clubs in the future.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
Re:Chester City FC
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2010, 12:11:32 pm by DMnumber4 »
Never really warmed to them?

They played the Billy big time game and lost. I don't think they ever recovered from that play off semi final.

I hated Mark Wright, and still do. The smug way he sat in the dugout as if it was theirs etc.

Their fans were equally arragont.

If it was a genuine club such as Forest Green Rovers, I would shed a tear. But it's not so I won't.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2010, 12:11:41 pm by DMnumber4 »

They played the Billy big time game and lost. I don't think they ever recovered from that play off semi final.

I hated Mark Wright, and still do. The smug way he sat in the dugout as if it was theirs etc.

If it was a genuine club such as Forest Green Rovers, I would shed a tear. But it's not so I won't.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2010, 12:24:15 pm by Filo »
DMnumber4 wrote:

We heard you the first time  :laugh:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 26, 2010, 12:25:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So what if they had an aggressive arrogant t**t as a manager? Does that condemn all their fans to deserve losing their club?

What do you think other Conference fans thought of Ian Snodin goading away fans or booting down dressing room doors at other clubs' grounds? Or what did they think of our fans' often arrogant and condescending attitude? Or the day our fans caused a mini riot in Kidderminster?

We got lucky. We got a chairman who was prepared to walk the walk. That doesn't make any one of us individuals a better or more deserving fan than the poor t**ts at Chester.

As Ben said, I remember precisely what I felt like towards the end of the Richardson era and I wouldn't wish that on any set of fans. There is not one group of fans who deserve that, and we are the very last set who should have a dismissive, vindictive and condescending attitude.

My heart genuinely goes out to the Chester fans.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 26, 2010, 12:27:34 pm by DMnumber4 »

We got lucky. We got a chairman who was prepared to walk the walk. That doesn't make any one of us individuals a better or more deserving fan than the poor t**ts at Chester.

Got something right then.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 26, 2010, 12:43:52 pm by Fal »
DMnumber4 wrote:

I think they recovered from the play-off defeat just fine, remember they won the conference the following year. Its just the shambles off of the pitch which have caused all this and then relegation back to the conference just sealed it.

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 26, 2010, 12:47:55 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Rigoglioso wrote:
This has gone on Oxford's website in the last ten minutes. Looks like they are the first club reporting it!

What now for Chester?

Chester Expelled

Looks that way. Makes you wonder if they'll do a Boston United and fail to be elected in to the Blue Sq North too; then they're really going to struggle, if that's the case it makes you wonder what is so attractive to the Danish consortium.

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 26, 2010, 12:57:16 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
Just goes to show how thin the fine line is between success and failure doesn't it... Could have easily have been us if it wasn't for Andy Warrington's heroics at the Deva Stadium.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2010, 12:58:13 pm by Pintolager »
Rigoglioso wrote:
This has gone on Oxford's website in the last ten minutes. Looks like they are the first club reporting it!

What now for Chester?

Chester Expelled

The news of Chester's expulsion is now on the BBC site.

A very sad day for Chester City and their fans.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2010, 01:16:14 pm by MrFrost »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
So what if they had an aggressive arrogant t**t as a manager? Does that condemn all their fans to deserve losing their club?

What do you think other Conference fans thought of Ian Snodin goading away fans or booting down dressing room doors at other clubs' grounds? Or what did they think of our fans' often arrogant and condescending attitude? Or the day our fans caused a mini riot in Kidderminster?

As Ben said, I remember precisely what I felt like towards the end of the Richardson era and I wouldn't wish that on any set of fans. There is not one group of fans who deserve that, and we are the very last set who should have a dismissive, vindictive and condescending attitude.

The only experience I had of Chester fans is that they were scum. Horrible town aswell.

I remember that day in Kidderminster. Mayhem!

sham69

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2010, 01:19:10 pm by sham69 »
Best post you,ve written BST.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2010, 01:31:51 pm by wilts rover »
MrFrost wrote:

The only experience I had of Chester fans is that they were scum. Horrible town aswell.

The only city in England with a complete medieval walled centre and with more listed buildings than any other - you take some pleasing dont you!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2010, 01:38:30 pm by MrFrost »
Mutton dressed as lamb. Shame its inhabitants are pr!cks!

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2010, 01:52:02 pm by en aitch »
I think that there is a certain part of the Chester situation where people talk of Mark Wright & the Vaughan family and talk of them getting what they deserve.

After the Conference play-offs there was a letter in the non-League paper that epitomised the seemingly typical Chester fan's view that DRFC and it's followers were crap and the inevitable ensuing relegation was what Doncaster and it's fans deserved.

I will always remember the Deva and the Alford penalty, and Mr Singh, and the Andy Warrington show, and as ever there have always been knobheads there. There were also some like that at Belle Vue, and there are at the Keepmoat and EVERY football club.

There are also genuine fans who give their heart & soul to THEIR club. I sympathise (and empathise) - I wish the true fans well, because the knobheads will move on .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2010, 02:22:56 pm by roversdude »
Never had much time for them but hope they survive.
Just shows how blessed we were with JR etc when you look at some of our old foes Scarboro (always liked the boxing day fixture there and a drink in pub at bottom of Staxton Hill), Halifax and Boston

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2010, 03:46:10 pm by bedale rover »
MrFrost wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

its beautiful city chester with the rows

it is one of the best most individualistic cities in the country  much better than the clone towns most of us live in!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2010, 06:15:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Good luck to them. Like Boston, Halifax and Scarborough amongst other before them though, it'll be a long road to recovery.

But at least Accrington, Aldershot and now Newport County are showing that it can be done.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2010, 06:43:12 pm by roversdude »
and Wimbledon (well sort of)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2010, 08:34:05 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I mentioned the other day that I knew Ebbsfleet were voting against Chester.  From the 'Fleet forum, it seemed fairly clear that most of those with a say on how the club voted were actually swayed by the number of Chester fans begging to be put out of their misery so that they could get on with their plans for a phoenix club.

I echo the sentiments above - good luck to them

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2010, 09:17:48 pm by BigH »
BST I totally agree.

You know, 12 years ago (was that all!) that could have been us. But we got lucky with JR, a guy who was a fan, knew how to run a business, knew what was required and cared. Then again, perhaps we deserved to get lucky after that clown Richardson.

What the Vaughans have done makes an absolute mockery of the 'fit and proper person's test' that apparently applies in football. It's not altogether uncommon knowledge that he was probably a front for a drugs baron. Yet he was allowed to run a football club.

Portsmouth - 4 owners in a year. Man City and Thaksin Shinowatra. What was that all about? A man being pursued in his own country for serious human rights abuses. For pity's sake, they'll be letting the Yorkshire Ripper have a seat on the board at Bradford next.

The football authorities should hang their heads in shame. Today is not about Portsmouth. It's about the implosion of a community based club that failed because the people running the Football League (and perhaps the Conference) stood by, ignored the fans, hoped it would all blow over and then, when it didn't, gave the club (and by association their fans) a good kicking.

Thank heavens we've got a board that cares, that's all I'll say.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2010, 09:46:59 pm by BobG »
Hear hear BigH. There's a couple posting on this thread who don't have the equipment to even begin to understand what you're writing about. But you are absolutely spot on. I met with the then Minister of Sport in 1998 to discuss the issue of clubs falling into disreputable ownership. He was very clear: either the FL and the PL cleaned up their act or the Government would do it for them. Sadly, the FL and PL got their crass 'fit and proper persons test' just in time. The Govt then had to allow it to run as they could hardly argue, without evidence, that is was of no use. The evidence is there now, but the climate has changed. So the political will is missing now. I despise the FA and the PL. They avoided the issue (which dates back to Charlton Athletic in the early 1980's) to ensure their own privileged position.  None of them lifted a finger to help DRFC. Every single time I rang or wrote to all of them about the illegality going at DRFC (I had documentary evidence) they told me to go talk to the DTI as DRFC were a limited company. And guess what the DTI said every single time? You got it in one. So that's why I have not supported the England team since and will not support them ever again. Why should I support their fcuking team when they wouldn't support mine? Especially when the FA's Charter is to (I paraphrase)'ensure the well being of football at all levels throughout the country'. They have clearly and consistently failed in that duty for decades. Chester City is simply one more chapter in a seemingly irreversible trend. I have the utmost sympathy, and empathy, with Chester supporters tonight. They didn't deserve the Vaughans. Just as we don't deserve the cretins who post shite like we've seen on this thread.

BobG

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2010, 10:46:39 pm by wilts rover »
BobG wrote:
Hear hear BigH. There's a couple posting on this thread who don't have the equipment to even begin to understand what you're writing about. But you are absolutely spot on. I met with the then Minister of Sport in 1998 to discuss the issue of clubs falling into disreputable ownership. He was very clear: either the FL and the PL cleaned up their act or the Government would do it for them. Sadly, the FL and PL got their crass 'fit and proper persons test' just in time. The Govt then had to allow it to run as they could hardly argue, without evidence, that is was of no use. The evidence is there now, but the climate has changed. So the political will is missing now. I despise the FA and the PL. They avoided the issue (which dates back to Charlton Athletic in the early 1980's) to ensure their own privileged position. I strongly dislike the FL. None of them lifted a finger to help DRFC. Every single time I rang or wrote to all of them about the illegality going at DRFC (I had documentary evidence) they told me to go talk to the DTI as DRFC were a limited company. And guess what the DTI said every single time? You got it in one. So that's why I have not supported since and will not support the England football team ever again. Why should I support their fcuking team when they wouldn't support mine? Especially when the FA's Charter is to (I paraphrase)'ensure the well being of football at all levels throughout the country'. They have clearly and consistently failed in that duty for decades. Chester City is simply one more chapter in a seemingly irreversible trend. I have the utmost sympathy, and empathy, with Chester supporters tonight. They didn't deserve the Vaughans. Just as we don't deserve the cretins who post shite like we've seen on this thread.
BobG

C'mon Bob, I wasn't that bad, I only said it had a medieval wall round it!!

For those of you reading this who think you know what you are talking about because you listen to the football pundits on the telly, go read Bob's post again - he KNOWS what he is talking about, and he tried to do something about it. Well done big man and if people only take one thing from your post I hope it is that they stop and think if they are adding anything useful before pressing send.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 26, 2010, 10:50:23 pm by roversdude »
Ill second that Bob - but for the grace of god (or the higher authority that is JR) go I.
People seem to forget how close we were to being in that position.
Good luck to Chester and hopefully they will bounce back

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 26, 2010, 10:53:34 pm by BobG »
Thank you chaps most kindly :)

Cheers

BobG

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 26, 2010, 10:57:43 pm by Theresonly1barrowrover »
I`11 3rd that Bob. As a lifelong Rovers fan who now lives in Barrow, I can`t believe that people who call themselves football fans could be pleased to see the demise of any club.
Richardson nearly did for Rovers, Vaughan nearly did for Barrow. Long live Chester I say!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 26, 2010, 11:15:47 pm by BobG »
I know replying to your own thread is a bit anal, but I@ve been sitting here remembering the simply staggering number of clubs who have suffered, badly, from the fatuous, egocentric and utterly, utterly useless goats at the FA. Here's a little list. I'm bound to have missed some.

Doncaster Rovers
Chester City
Wrexham
Brighton & Hove Albion
Mansfield Town
Charlton Athletic
Portsmouth
Darlington
Plymouth Argyle
Manchester City (ok, they didn't suffer much, but an absolute pariah was allowed to   Chair their Board)
Manchester United (their suffering is just beginning)
Carlisle United
Wimbledon
Notts County
Rotherham United
Queens Park Rangers
West Ham United
Hull City

I make that 18 clubs. Off the top of my head. And it doesn't include any of the many, many none league clubs who have actually closed because some git wanted to sell their land from under them. Remember Enfield Town anyone?

Not all of the clubs I've listed have suffered to the degree that Rovers, Brighton, Chester and Wimbledon did. But every single one of them has had a carpet bagger rape them nonetheless.

18 league clubs in 30 years!! Just what do the FA think they're playing at?

Why does ANY football supporter pass even the time of day with the England team and the misbegotten FA?

Cheers again

BobG

PS and, of course, there was the never to be forgotten Bridlington Town as well. We, especially, should always remember them. And as Barrow Rover has reminded me, Vaughan has actually done it to TWO clubs! How the chuffing hell does that work then? Just what do the FA actually do all day long???

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 26, 2010, 11:35:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If there was any justice in the world Bob, you and the bairn would be given life Season Tickets and a chauffeur driven car up the the Keepmoat every other week. Back in 97, your website was the only thing for a Donny fan to cling on and stop themselves from sticking their head in the gas oven. I hope Chester have somebody like you at the moment.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 27, 2010, 07:47:37 am by Ian H »
Just as we don't deserve the cretins who post shite like we've seen on this thread.

Now Mr G - we all know that you're not really \"Bob\"   :laugh: but there are only 18 \"posters\" on this thread. I presume that you are not describing yourself in the \"cretin\" category, nor BST, nor wilts ... and having read through the thread again I'm of the view that nearly all would wish the true Chester fans well.

There is a certain awareness of the hard work carried out in the dark days by yourself and a few others (including your dad) and the lack of response from the t**ts in charge, but ignorance does not necessarily mean cretinous - you are unfair and that sort of abuse is beneath you, it should be in your remit to either educate the people that are unaware or sympathise for their ignorance not label them as cretins. :(

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 27, 2010, 07:50:19 am by roversdude »
I still feel guilty about the demise of Bridlington the way we stole their best players.
I work with a few Dalington fans and there doesnt seem to be any fight left up there everyone just seems resigned to relegation and oblivion, again this would be a traversty. I  seem to remember Darlington being my first ever away game back in early 70's (God I feel old now)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012