Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:25:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Guy on Loan to Oldham  (Read 7673 times)

robchester

• Forum Member
Guy on Loan to Oldham
« on March 15, 2010, 03:34:06 pm by robchester »
Lewis on loan for an initial month to Oldham.  Looks like the clearout has begun to free wages.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

obeonesarover

• Forum Member
Re:Guy on Loan to Oldham
« Reply #1 on March 15, 2010, 04:05:53 pm by obeonesarover »
good luck to the lad, perhaps he can build up some confidence without all the booing to knock him, personally i hope he proves himself and quietens the guy haters , always gave 100% all of the time when he came on which is more than some of the others do at times

Keith Myath

« Reply #2 on March 15, 2010, 04:05:57 pm by Keith Myath »
So for Saturdays game with the blunts we have only Hayter, basically a midfielder now at the club to play upfront?

Are we giving Utd 3 points at the weekend in return for Billy Sharps services next season then? Its either that or we must be getting someone in surely?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 15, 2010, 04:06:54 pm by Chris »
Keith Myath wrote:
So for Saturdays game with the blunts we have only Hayter, basically a midfielder now at the club to play upfront?

Are we giving Utd 3 points at the weekend in return for Billy Sharps services next season then? Its either that or we must be getting someone in surely?

Hopefully Fairhurst is fit for saturday.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 15, 2010, 04:07:25 pm by DannyRovers »
is waide back??

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 15, 2010, 04:14:08 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Get in! Fairhurst might get a crack now. We're going in the right direction if Lewis is on his bike in May.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 15, 2010, 04:30:14 pm by DMnumber4 »
Fairhurst can't be back, he used to be on the books of United therefore the invisible gentlemans agreement states he is ineligible.  ;)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 15, 2010, 04:30:53 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Keith Myath wrote:

As far as Im aware there is nothing stopping us playing Billy Sharp up front v Sheff Utd.

There is a potential play off spot at stake - sod some convoluted 'gentlemans agreement' not to play him.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 15, 2010, 04:34:36 pm by DMnumber4 »
If Sharp plays it will show our ambition, if not, it seems we are willing to reduce the chance of points to be friends  :)  There's no place for sentimentality in this game, and it's worth a lot of money, if it was the other way round and they had Stock for example I'm sure they'd play him.

I'd be fuming if i was Billy and left out the biggest game of his season.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 15, 2010, 04:38:11 pm by grayx »
Thankyou God.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 15, 2010, 04:49:20 pm by River Don »
DMnumber4 wrote:
If Sharp plays it will show our ambition, if not, it seems we are willing to reduce the chance of points to be friends  :)  There's no place for sentimentality in this game, and it's worth a lot of money, if it was the other way round and they had Stock for example I'm sure they'd play him.

It'll be more to do with Sheffield United paying a proportion of his wages than any gentlemens agreement. I'll be surprised if they allow him to play.

Dare2Dream

« Reply #11 on March 15, 2010, 04:57:16 pm by Dare2Dream »
I'm sure Lewis'll do well there. Someone said a month or so ago that it was under Penney that Guy was likeable, & if you remember at times in DP's later years his partnership with Heffs was unstoppable. Maybe his confidence can be fixed, if it is low, then he'll start scoring the goals. When he's started Guy hasn't played badly for us this season, he just needs fans off his back and this spell could show us how well he can play.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 15, 2010, 05:10:40 pm by not on facebook »
watch lewis guy go and do at oldahm what billy sharp is doing at rovers

then fcukers off here fall over each other for guy to come back to KMS

as yer just know how fickle football fans are at times

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 15, 2010, 05:21:11 pm by roversdude »
Lewis always gave 100% for some reason people didnt take to him.
Personally I wish him good luck

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 15, 2010, 05:22:56 pm by dumbroofer »
well said oslorovers guy is more than capable of doing a good job for us

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2010, 05:36:49 pm by Shawndrfc »
i think everyone is a winner. Guy actually get to play and is reunited with penny. We get free wage space and waide get a shot. happy days.

muff licker

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 15, 2010, 05:43:44 pm by muff licker »
robchester wrote:
Lewis on loan for an initial month to Oldham.  Looks like the clearout has begun to free wages.

The 3rd striker DP has had on loan who he had whilst he was manager at DRFC, Heffs, Pricey and now Lewis.....get your boots ready Duerds!!

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 15, 2010, 06:02:40 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
River Don wrote:
DMnumber4 wrote:

It'll be more to do with Sheffield United paying a proportion of his wages than any gentlemens agreement. I'll be surprised if they allow him to play.

They can't stop him from playing, League rules mean that you cannot write such clauses into loan agreements, therefore, if we wanted to play him, we would. Its just that So'D isn't that kind of person...

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 15, 2010, 06:47:11 pm by Savvy »
Rigoglioso wrote:
DMnumber4 wrote:

That's a ridiculous statement.

Sheffield United have done us a favour by loaning us Billy Sharp and rather than being ready to stab them in the back by playing Sharp, we should remember the favour they have done us.

SO'D is a huge beleiver in principles, integrity and honesty and he's a thoroughly decent man. Although contractually I don't think there is anything to stop us playing Billy Sharp if we wanted to, it'd be a thoroughly indecent thing to do and against all of SO'D's principles.

Whilst we should always focus on ourselves, we should also show some gratitude to Sheffield United. Therefore, Sharp doesn't play!

Spot on Rigo!!!!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 15, 2010, 07:35:23 pm by wilts rover »
Rigoglioso wrote:
DMnumber4 wrote:

Sheffield United have done us a favour by loaning us Billy Sharp and rather than being ready to stab them in the back by playing Sharp, we should remember the favour they have done us.

SO'D is a huge beleiver in principles, integrity and honesty and he's a thoroughly decent man. Although contractually I don't think there is anything to stop us playing Billy Sharp if we wanted to, it'd be a thoroughly indecent thing to do and against all of SO'D's principles.

Whilst we should always focus on ourselves, we should also show some gratitude to Sheffield United. Therefore, Sharp doesn't play!

Surely that's not a serious post Rigo? United doing us a favour!!! It was us doing them a favour! They tried to get us to buy Billy on a cut-price deal, and that only fell through when we couldn't match his wages. They were then jumping overthemselves to get him off their payrole when we came back to them with 5 minutes of the loan window left.

I can fully understand why Sean left him out of game at Bramall Lane, it was still early in his time with us, extra kudos so he wasn't recalled for sale in January, but most of all so Billy wasn't put under pressure by playing for an away team at BL. Non of those now apply, he'll play on Saturday.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 15, 2010, 07:46:11 pm by Barmby Rover »
We get Sharp for the season with United paying half his wages, yes they wanted rid, but he will be back there for them to sell on at a far higher price than he was going for in the summer. United have done us a massive favour this season, and deserve to get Billy back. What we get out of it is another CCC season and a chance to loan some more excellent players from other clubs because of the way we have brought him on. If we then go and play him and disrupt their season with getting Blackwell the sack what do you think other clubs would think of Rovers? Not a lot. Of course he doesn't play, JET will do a fine job along with Hayter up front.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 15, 2010, 08:01:32 pm by Akinfenwa »
Sheffield United are doing us a favour though, they have sent us a proven, £2 million goalscorer on a season long loan and are probably still paying half of his reported £12k a week wages. We are also doing them a favour by giving Billy games and freeing up some of their wages for a year. I'm pretty certain Sharp won't play on Saturday because it is the decent thing for us to do even if we are allowed to play him. I wouldn't play him either, if there is a small chance that we can sign Sharp in the summer then we won't do our chances any harm by maintaining a decent relationship with Sheffield United. Who knows, they may give us first option to buy in the summer if we don't piss them off.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 15, 2010, 08:10:38 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
As it turns out Sheff Utd have done us a favour. At the time though, as in all business, a deal was done that benefitted both parties. Sheff Utd were/are desperate to reduce their wage bill and us offering to pay a  % percentage of Sharps wages benefitted them. We also helped them get a unhappy player out of the club. Don't think for one minute Sheff Utd did this out of anything but self interest. At the time Sharps reputation was one of a promising striker who had been found wanting at this level. No other club had stepped in for him. Rovers took a risk by paying his wages. A risk that as it turns out was a great bit of business.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 15, 2010, 08:45:01 pm by Rios »
Dare2Dream wrote:
I'm sure Lewis'll do well there. Someone said a month or so ago that it was under Penney that Guy was likeable, & if you remember at times in DP's later years his partnership with Heffs was unstoppable. Maybe his confidence can be fixed, if it is low, then he'll start scoring the goals. When he's started Guy hasn't played badly for us this season, he just needs fans off his back and this spell could show us how well he can play.

This is really beginning to grate with me now.  Lewis has been here fiver years... that's 5 years!  The \"fans\" haven't spent all those five years on his back.  He's scored just 20ish goals in over 150 appearaces.  The truth of the matter is that he just hasn't produced at any of the levels of football that we've played at while he's been here.  By reports he also did pretty poorly at Hartlepool too.  Quite frankly if we're prepared to let the likes of Price and Heffernen leave who produced far more in the Rovers hoops, then there's no place here for Lewis.

I rang one of the lads at the Oldham site that I work at and had a good laugh with him about this.  I've been winding him up for months about Penney coming in for him.... he sees this as the final nail in Penneys coffin and is hoping that he gets Penney the sack.

Good luck Lewis I hope you do well enough to keep Oldham up, but I'd rather watch Sharp and JET play football than you diving on the floor everytime someone gets near you.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 15, 2010, 08:59:54 pm by DonnyNoel »
wilts rover wrote:
Rigoglioso wrote:
DMnumber4 wrote:

Surely that's not a serious post Rigo? United doing us a favour!!! It was us doing them a favour! They tried to get us to buy Billy on a cut-price deal, and that only fell through when we couldn't match his wages. They were then jumping overthemselves to get him off their payrole when we came back to them with 5 minutes of the loan window left.

I can fully understand why Sean left him out of game at Bramall Lane, it was still early in his time with us, extra kudos so he wasn't recalled for sale in January, but most of all so Billy wasn't put under pressure by playing for an away team at BL. Non of those now apply, he'll play on Saturday.

And you never know when we might need those kudos again, be it from Sheff Utd or another team. Not worth the risk for me - especially when you consider how well we've done for loans this year.

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 15, 2010, 09:13:44 pm by ferribyrover »
Lewis hasn't had a chance this season, same as Heffs, good luck to them both.
Talking about players on loan do you prefer Lewis n Heffs, or Billy and JET?
We are moving on. In SOD we trust.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 16, 2010, 12:59:43 am by DMnumber4 »
United have done us a massive favour this season, and deserve to get Billy back.

Why? They've done bugger all! I bet he's straining at the leash to play, bag a hat-trick and prove himself.

He's our player until 31st May or whenever the deal expires therefore we should pick him unless injury / suspension intervenes.

Are you telling me if we got the Blades in the play-offs the gentleman's agreement would come in to play?

No one ever got anyone in football by being nice etc. Thank you Sheffield United, your loss is very much our gain and I hope we take maximum advantage.

donnyspur

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 16, 2010, 01:28:59 am by donnyspur »
I think Penney has lost it  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  He is in trouble keeping his job as relegation is a big threat to Oldham now.
He takes Heffs first and half the games get called off in the month because of all the snow,when he was there so he never got a chance. I have never seen such an unlucky penalty in my life wheh Heffs hits inside of post, then underside of crossbar and bounce back out off the other post  :dry:  :dry:  that was soooo unlucky. If Penney had a brain he would of took Heffs back
Then he took JJ for a month and sent him back to Millwall, and he has set off very well at Carlisle already
And finally he takes Guy  :silly:  :silly:  :silly: .....he has lost his job for definate if he is relying on him to score the goals to keep them up !!!! He is hardly prolific !!!
All the best to him, he has been a good servant to the club, and i hope he somehow does well so Oldham keep him

Can i ask the question though that now we have got rid of Heffs why is it all of a sudden we are playing 2 and 3 upfront ?? Surely after a few games Heffs would of got match sharp and been a good partner for Billy, anyway hope we win tomoro  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 16, 2010, 12:15:28 pm by Leedsrover »
Billy is on 4 yellow cards- if he gets booked tonight at Peterborough thats 5 yellows and a convenient 1 match suspension for Saturday v Sheff Utd ? Not sure if this is correct but it would solve 2 issues in one go- Billy doesnt play against SU and then starts with a clean sheet v Toon?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 16, 2010, 12:20:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's not, you need 10 at this time of year.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012