Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:26:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger on Sharp  (Read 3133 times)

kittyslass

• Forum Member
Coppinger on Sharp
« on March 29, 2010, 11:38:16 am by kittyslass »
Extract from todays Mirror......

\"Doncaster would still come up short in their attempts to sign Billy Sharp permanently......

And he believes a lack of funds will mean the club will miss out on signing £1.5million-rated Sheffield United loanee Sharp in the summer.......

On Sharp, he added: “Should we have another fund-raising effort to keep him? I don’t think so, I think he’s on a bit more than that.

“He came in with other fantastic loan signings. Everyone would like them to sign and be part of the club but it’s never going to happen.

“If Billy keeps scoring it will be hard for us to keep him. “You’d like to think people would put money in because with a manager like Sean O’Driscoll anything’s possible.”

If this right and should Billy sign for,God forbid,say the dingles, who have a quarter of their spectators on freebies, it would be major PR gaff for the Rovers and also his comments won't have helped our season ticket sales.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re:Coppinger on Sharp
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2010, 10:28:15 pm by grayx »
Must admit,this pissed me off a bit when I read the article. It sounds like we have absolutely no chance of signing Sharp come the end of the season. I think those pulling the purse strings need to re-consider. Strikers of his calibre are few & far between. When was the last time we saw a Rovers striker chasing the top goalscorer award?.

VixDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2010, 12:52:11 am by VixDRFC »
I wonder how much of that article was out of context because the snippet in the Yorkshire Post yesterday said \" Billy's very ambitious and it will be hard for us to keep him if he keeps scoring\"

Only time will tell

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 30, 2010, 05:24:30 am by FuzzyDuck »
Agree completely Rigoglioso.

We've also got to remember that this summer, there are likely to be some bargains about.  From top to bottom in the game, people are cutting their cloth meaning that some players will be left with a choice of moving on, or accepting much reduced pay-deals.  The best most-recent example I know to is Joe Cole, who is leaving Chelsea in the summer because he's been offered a new contract at a 40% pay-cut.

Hopefully this will mean we will replace Billy with a decent striker.  Unfortunately, I think Billy has been too successful for our own good if we are thinking about signing him :(

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2010, 07:57:59 am by Barmby Rover »
I cannot understand why people would be so shocked if Billy doesn't stay. Who do they think we can buy to replace him? Andy Carrol? Chopra? Look at the strikers table, they are the equivalent. The Blades did us an enormous favour this year, doing the same next year will be nigh on impossible.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2010, 08:43:42 am by graingrover »
Perhaps we should offer Coppinger to Sheff United in part exchange for Billy.

bessacarrover

« Reply #6 on March 30, 2010, 09:09:08 am by bessacarrover »
i thought sharp was out of contract in the summer????   :cheer:  hopefully we can get him then  :)

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 30, 2010, 09:18:16 am by Redandwhitewhizards »
No, he has a year left on his contract

Jonathan

« Reply #8 on March 30, 2010, 09:28:17 pm by Jonathan »
graingrover wrote:
Perhaps we should offer Coppinger to Sheff United in part exchange for Billy.

Perhaps not! We need to keep our best players, not use them as bait.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 30, 2010, 10:01:00 pm by Savvy »
Simple solution really, offer them Heffernan in exchange for Sharp, him being our best goalscorer since Alick Jeffrey and highest goals per game percentage blah, blah, blah! Got to be worth a punt!!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2010, 08:32:30 am by bobjimwilly »
Savvy wrote:
Simple solution really, offer them Heffernan in exchange for Sharp, him being our best goalscorer since Alick Jeffrey and highest goals per game percentage blah, blah, blah! Got to be worth a punt!!

Why would they swop for heffernan when,if they really wanted to, they could get him for free in the summer?  :huh:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2010, 09:11:37 am by graingrover »
I did prefer Oster's viewpoint to that of Copps though ... the former stated what he thought the club needed to do (invest), the latter seemed to simply express the view that we didn't have the means!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012