Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:44:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Wellens v Oster question  (Read 3831 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
The Wellens v Oster question
« on March 29, 2010, 08:31:46 pm by Branton Rover »
Who would you want for next season? Who's the better player & who contributes more?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:The Wellens v Oster question
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2010, 08:37:20 pm by Filo »
Branton Rover wrote:
Who would you want for next season? Who's the better player & who contributes more?
It's unfair to compare them, both have different qualitys, both very good at what they do, I would say Oster is the more technically gifted but Wellens is the battler. Given the choice I would have them both

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 29, 2010, 08:50:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Oster is proven at Premier league level, Wellens isn't.

Jonathan

« Reply #3 on March 29, 2010, 09:08:45 pm by Jonathan »
I wouldn't wish to say a bad word about either of them. Both have proved to be exceptional players for us and are way above the standard of midfield player I ever thought I'd be able to watch in a Rovers shirt. Given the choice I'd rather we had both, and Brian Stock too!

One interesting point is that Wellens, like Paul Green too, seemed to look a better and more effective player in our team than he does when he plays for his new club. Having watched Leicester a few times since Wellens joined, it does seem to me like his considerable talent is not fully expolited there. Like Green at Derby, he seems to have almost a peripheral role in their midfield whereas it's evident that we play through our talented players and they see far more of the ball, thus having a far greater influence. That's why I think we have had the best of these players, and why moving them inside to get more involved is also getting the best from Oster and Coppinger.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 29, 2010, 09:15:43 pm by SkellowRover »
I said on another thread

SkellowRover wrote:
At the start of the season when we first got Oster i never thought our midfield would be better having lost Wellens, but i now believe Oster to be a better player then Ritchie was, a different type of player but i think our midfield now works at a quicker tempo and is far more threatening.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 29, 2010, 09:24:53 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Jonathan wrote:
I wouldn't wish to say a bad word about either of them. Both have proved to be exceptional players for us and are way above the standard of midfield player I ever thought I'd be able to watch in a Rovers shirt. Given the choice I'd rather we had both, and Brian Stock too!

What a mid field that would be.  They'd run the show against anybody in this league.  Billy wouldn't need to play the loan striker role ever again.

Mind you, Oster and Wellens? both fiesty characters... neither take shit from anyone, might get tasty in the dressing room.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 29, 2010, 09:34:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Quite agree that Oster has certainly been excellent in the middle of the park and their are facets of his game that are better than Wellens. Passing, quicker movement, the ground he covers however, Wellens had a battlers brain. A tough old pro who knows how to wind opposition up (Charlie Adam !).

I think a centre midfield of Stock and Oster would again be a Rolls Royce of midfields.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 29, 2010, 10:10:20 pm by en aitch »
Billy wouldn't need to play the loan striker role ever again.

Does that mean that he'd be signed permanently?

Daft question - Wellens has gone - Oster hopefully can still be grabbed.

Green has gone too - forget about him. He took a pay rise and left!

I'd always want to take a good player who wants to play for DRFC over a player who feels his future is elsewhere - I just hope that John Oster has a future at the Keepmoat.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 29, 2010, 10:16:34 pm by Filo »
Stock is the playmaker that also plays the holding role, where as Oster is the playmaker in a more advanced position, leaving Wilson to ocupy the holding role, without Wilson doing this Oster would not have the freedom to be as far forward as he gets, thus highlighting the contribution that Wilson makes to the team

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 29, 2010, 10:24:09 pm by Nudga »
Hooray, someone sees what i've been seeing for ages.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 29, 2010, 10:36:56 pm by Branton Rover »
We are indeed blessed to have such rich's in midfield but again it comes down to a manager seeing Johnny Oster in a different role, a position in which he's flourished.  Sean is GENIUS

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 30, 2010, 01:02:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Big difference between the two.  Oster is much better going forward, Wellens kept the ball better.  Wellens often played the simple role whilst Oster always looks for killer passes.  Oster creates more and is more exciting to watch, much preferrable.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 30, 2010, 01:07:33 pm by RobTheRover »
Quick, can someone create a \"I love Johnny Oster\" group on Facebook - I want to join!!!

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 30, 2010, 01:19:57 pm by scuzzer »
Find of the season without a doubt the lad is.

I was totally underwhelmed when i heard of him signing in the summer but have been amazed how he's adapted to the CM playmaker role. Class player and hopefully his age and the iffy reputation he has off the field will put other clubs off having a look at him so we may enjoy his services for a few more years yet.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 30, 2010, 09:42:56 pm by en aitch »
Totally off the Thread ... but ....

I'll be specific - I don't rate Wilson highly enough for him to be in the starting line-up. I don't care how politically incorrect this group make it - I believe that Wilson needs to be replaced if we are to progress - sorry Filo / Nudga - it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Please also note - go back through as many threads as you like - I have never, ever slagged him off!

However Oster should be encouraged to stay - now!

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 30, 2010, 09:46:51 pm by Northants Nomad »
en aitch wrote:

I'll be specific - I don't rate Wilson highly enough for him to be in the starting line-up. I don't care how politically incorrect this group make it - I believe that Wilson needs to be replaced if we are to progress - sorry Filo / Nudga - it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Please also note - go back through as many threads as you like - I have never, ever slagged him off!

Really? You mean there are people out there who don't rate Wilson? Really?  :dry:

Keith Myath

« Reply #16 on March 30, 2010, 10:00:58 pm by Keith Myath »
Which one is better, Wellens v's Oster?.......

Theres only one way to find out................ FIGHT!

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 30, 2010, 10:36:19 pm by NigelJ »
En Aitch effectively wrote:
Which one is better, Wellens v's Oster?.......

Theres only one way to find out................ Slag off Wilson

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2010, 03:11:21 pm by en aitch »
Err
en aitch effectively wrote NOTHING OF THE FECKING SORT NIGELJ, you t**t!

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 31, 2010, 03:16:15 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
en aitch wrote:

I totally agree and echo this. There is a thin line between blindness and loyalty.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 31, 2010, 04:08:43 pm by Filo »
WSBBA_Ben wrote:
en aitch wrote:

I totally agree and echo this. There is a thin line between blindness and loyalty.

And some people refuse stubbornly to accept when Wilson has a good game, I`ll repeat again without Wilson`s industry Oster wouldn`t be able to play the classy game he does

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 31, 2010, 04:24:06 pm by en aitch »
There was no need to repeat ....

but if you'd said \"without the industry of the holding player Oster wouldn`t be able to play the classy game he does\" would that not also have been correct?

It's not about being blind to whether a player has a good game it is also about whether you believe a player is good enough to be picked for the first eleven if all of the squad are fit.

It is quite funny though that Montgomerie (sp) at Sheff U has had years of abuse, but this season the Blunt faithful have \"warmed\" to him - one caller on DeeDah last night was even saying words like \"what if someone comes in with a bid of £2m for Monty?\" ... it was pointed out that Nick M is out of contract in the Summer so that sort of money is improbable ...  back to the theory, Wilson (as Monty) is the unspectacular performer of the \"dirty job\" and hence essential to the balance!

I acknowledge that Wilson is selected to play the holding/spoiling role. I also agree that it isn't my job to pick the team.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 31, 2010, 04:28:06 pm by Filo »
en aitch wrote:
There was no need to repeat ....

but if you'd said \"without the industry of the holding player Oster wouldn`t be able to play the classy game he does\" would that not also have been correct?

It's not about being blind to whether a player has a good game it is also about whether you believe a player is good enough to be picked for the first eleven if all of the squad are fit.

It is quite funny though that Montgomerie (sp) at Sheff U has had years of abuse, but this season the Blunt faithful have \"warmed\" to him - one caller on DeeDah last night was even saying words like \"what if someone comes in with a bid of £2m for Monty?\" ... it was pointed out that Nick M is out of contract in the Summer so that sort of money is improbable ...  back to the theory, Wilson (as Monty) is the unspectacular performer of the \"dirty job\" and hence essential to the balance!

I acknowledge that Wilson is selected to play the holding/spoiling role. I also agree that it isn't my job to pick the team.

It actually wasn`t aimed at you, but i like your very diplomatic reply :)

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 31, 2010, 04:32:43 pm by en aitch »
Lol - I do tactful & reactionary with equal aplomb :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 31, 2010, 04:36:57 pm by Filo »
en aitch wrote:
Lol - I do tactful & reactionary with equal aplomb :)

By the way, I do like your avatar, there`s a couple of decent handfulls there  :)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 31, 2010, 04:47:19 pm by wilts rover »
en aitch wrote:

Ah - but if all the squad were fit, would Mark Wilson be in the starting line up? Which fits in nicely with the theme of the thread and the form of John Oster.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 31, 2010, 05:47:35 pm by en aitch »
Tell you what Wilts

The Wellens v  Oster question

For me: OSTER ..... OK?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012