Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:55:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?  (Read 3152 times)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?
« on March 30, 2010, 12:47:31 pm by DaveDRFC »
The latest story on DROS appears to forget that a little place called Hull exists...now I know it's a dump but to wipe it off the face of the earth is a little unfair...

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2009758,00.html

Seeing as they have included Middlesbrough as a Yorkshire team, I think Hull have more of a right to be in there then them!

Also, exactly what best seller's list is John Ryan's book number one on? On Amazon it is ranked 4003. I know he likes to blow his own trumpet but to just claim your book is a number one bestseller is a bit much!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re:Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?
« Reply #1 on March 30, 2010, 12:49:36 pm by RobTheRover »
In my geographical panacea, Hull is technically \"North North Lincolnshire\".

;-)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2010, 01:02:53 pm by Filo »
RobTheRover wrote:
In my geographical panacea, Hull is technically \"North North Lincolnshire\".

;-)

I would say it`s western Holland  ;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 30, 2010, 01:09:19 pm by RobTheRover »
Aye, or a small suburb of Vladivostok, given the concentration of Russian sailors in the vacinity

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2010, 01:52:59 pm by silent majority »
DaveDRFC wrote:
The latest story on DROS appears to forget that a little place called Hull exists...now I know it's a dump but to wipe it off the face of the earth is a little unfair...

Seeing as they have included Middlesbrough as a Yorkshire team, I think Hull have more of a right to be in there then them!

Also, exactly what best seller's list is John Ryan's book number one on? On Amazon it is ranked 4003. I know he likes to blow his own trumpet but to just claim your book is a number one bestseller is a bit much!

Actually John is right, we are the top placed Yorkshire club in the football league. Hull are in the PL.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2010, 01:59:57 pm by DaveDRFC »
silent_majority wrote:

Actually John is right, we are the top placed Yorkshire club in the football league. Hull are in the PL.

Ah ha, good spot. I suppose I'll let him off...

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Re:Why let the truth get in the way of a good stor
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2010, 08:36:39 am by VivaRovers »
Along the initial subject line. Am I the only one to think that Rovers are giving JR's book a disproportionate amount of coverage? Before you sharpen your pitchforks here's a more structured version of what I'm saying (Headed 'Novel Gazing')

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2010, 09:00:48 am by Wellred »
Good point but then I again I will wait for the knives to come out for being negative.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2010, 09:07:41 am by graingrover »
A brilliant article again Viva. It's such a pity that your journalistic talent has not been spotted by the Media Department . They may of course fear for their own jobs if they try to harness real talent from 'outside' ( though no doubt you are more a Rover than most at the club)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2010, 11:32:24 am by Thinwhiteduke »
DaveDRFC wrote:

Hull? Yorkshire? My backside!

They have HUMBERSIDE Police, HUMBERSIDE Fire and rescue.

It winds 'em up chronic - so for that purpose alone, they'll always be Humberside to me.
 ;)

Sif

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2010, 02:18:51 pm by Sif »
DaveDRFC wrote:

It doesn't have to be on any list. If it's JR's only book, then it is his bestseller. Fact.

Curious Orange

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2010, 03:38:37 pm by Curious Orange »
Isn't JR putting all of the book's profits back into the club? Therefore isn't it okay for the club to promote the book as much as possible? Whatever vivarovers complaints are about the website/media department, I'm not sure the book is the right target for criticism as it seems like a bit of a slap in the face for our beloved JR.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2010, 03:49:52 pm by VivaRovers »
I presume you've not read my article then Curious Orange (if indeed that is your real name), as knowing I'd get this response I went out of my way to highlight that this was not a criticism of JR nor his bestselling prize winning critically acclaimed book.

My point is that if the club gave the sort of rounded coverage they have given JR's book to other facets of Doncaster Rovers then it would be perfectly reasonable. Yes this book will make the club money, but presumably 2010-11 season ticket sales, as an example, would also make the club considerable money yet that has not been publicised by the Rovers anywhere near as much.

The coverage afforded this book highlights the inconsistancies of the club's off the pitch output and I thought it would be appropriate to draw attention to this fact. It's very much a constructive criticism as anyone who has read the article would I'm sure agree

Curious Orange

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2010, 04:01:28 pm by Curious Orange »
I had read your article and 'going out of your way' to make a pleasant disclaimer or two doesn't get around the fact that your article feels like it's railing against the book by criticising its (over)promotion when clearly your beef is with the inconsistencies of the media department.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2010, 04:14:47 pm by VivaRovers »
It feels like it's railing against the book, but it's clearly a complaint about the media side of the club?

It's obviously not that clear.

For your sake can I just go on the record now and say that I have nothing against this book. Or for that matter any book. I've never been too fond of Thomas Hardy's work but I have nothing against his books either as Tess of the D'Urbevilles has been known to make an excellent door stop. Indeed, I am very much pro books, some of my best friends are books. If this or any book came to my door and asked to take my daughter to the prom, I'd not only let it but I'd shake it by the sleeve and offer it my wife for the evening as well. I have nothing against the book, and I sincerely hope my actions have not offended it in any way. For the sake of books everywhere let me say this, be you hard back or paper, fact or fiction, my bedside table is always a haven for you and my reading lamp glows eternal. God bless you books... God bless you all.

There, let's try something less controversial instead... How brilliant is Mark Wilson lately?

Curious Orange

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2010, 04:20:53 pm by Curious Orange »
Haha! That actually made me laugh out loud! No seriously, I can see you're not going to accept what I'm saying but at least that last post was genius.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2010, 04:29:14 pm by VivaRovers »
Yeah I got hooked on a thread there and ran with it. I do see what you're saying, as I knew someone would raise that point, but I can't agree with it. The reason being that I have to tie the article to the book, as it's that what brought this issue to mind, but I feel I've done all I can to deflect criticism from it. Obviously you don't feel I've done that enough, but alas that's your interpretation and no matter really because the real winner here is books... Lovely books... Let's hear it for books!

Curious Orange

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 31, 2010, 04:33:57 pm by Curious Orange »
Yeah, I know I've come out with the criticism you expected but someone's got to do it. I welcome the day when no-one is allowed to have a go at anything the club does and we live in a totalitarian librarian state.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2010, 08:34:58 pm by graingrover »
Viva you real!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012