Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 12:39:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Are we in a mimi crisis...  (Read 7342 times)

Rovin Reporter

Are we in a mimi crisis...
« on May 22, 2010, 12:38:27 am by Rovin Reporter »
We have 8.9 or 10 players out of contract , we are trying to sign a player who will go to the HIGHEST bidder ( not likley to be us) we have lost a solid left back in Roberts, one of our targets Shackell is also gone, other player are under scutiny of other teams which means we are pluging holes .Our success last year was mainly due to loan signings , we have NOT made a significant signing since Heffernan or Mills  and their both  gone now .We nearly lost our manager who is doing all the right things with limited funds and is making any chairman's over very envious and we risk losing him also. We have the 5 or 6th lowest attendance in the league so no doubt our budget reflects this.  With the championship getting more like the Premier league for competivnes and the fact that teams will not be too unhappy about relegation with greater parachute payments, it makes geting out of this league more imperitive either up or down as makeing money or saving money is the fine line we are up against.  :S

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
Re:Are we in a mimi crisis...
« Reply #1 on May 22, 2010, 12:43:28 am by ScillyRover »
Rovin Reporter wrote:
We have 8.9 or 10 players out of contract , we are trying to sign a player who will go to the HIGHEST bidder ( not likley to be us) we have lost a solid left back in Roberts, one of our targets Shackell is also gone, other player are under scutiny of other teams which means we are pluging holes .Our success last year was mainly due to loan signings , we have NOT made a significant signing since Heffernan or Mills  and their both  gone now .We nearly lost our manager who is doing all the right things with limited funds and is making any chairman's over very envious and we risk losing him also. We have the 5 or 6th lowest attendance in the league so no doubt our budget reflects this.  With the championship getting more like the Premier league for competivnes and the fact that teams will not be too unhappy about relegation with greater parachute payments, it makes geting out of this league more imperitive either up or down as makeing money or saving money is the fine line we are up against.  :S

Other than that... everything is coming up roses !

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 22, 2010, 01:19:05 am by RobTheRover »
Rovin Reporter.... you are so wide of the mark its untrue.

1) Name the 10 out of contract players.

2) Yes, Roberts has gone, and with the club's blessing.  We will get a younger, better player to replace Gareth.

3) We met Wolves valuation of Shackell and offered him a good wage package, but Barnsley came in with an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS wage package.  The lad couldnt possibly say no to what they are paying him.

4) Was Oster not a significant signing? I think he has eclipsed Wellens' achievements, so we actually improved after Wellens went.  And when that happened loads on here (myself included) felt it was the end of the world....

5) We nearly lost our manager because he is doing the right things?  Jesus wept, would you rather he did the wrong things?  Of course he is going to be on other club's radars, just as the best performing players are monitored.  As Sean says, thats football.  Cant get worked up about it.

6) Not sure what your final point is.  I dont think too many clubs will be thrilled at getting relegated, even with the new parachute payments in place.  The rest is just random words.

awsworth_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 22, 2010, 08:45:54 am by awsworth_rover »
OOOHHH your glass is soooooo half empty!!!! Quick some1 get a refill!

Why oh why do we want to concentrate on all the negatives yet again? I know its all about opinions, but come on, Wake up. realise what we have achieved, and continue to do so. Im really looking forward to see what JR, SOD and ROK can magic up for us yet again this season. Personally, i prefer this route than throwing silly money at players.

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 22, 2010, 09:29:24 am by Smeg »
A Mimi crisis? Like this one?

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 22, 2010, 09:41:48 am by German Rover »
We all thought we were in a crisis last year and look what happened there, the good thing about the way we play is that it can turn a lesser player into a world beater, whoever we sign may not be the best known or most expensive player but they will want to play for us and have the ability to do well in our system

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 22, 2010, 10:00:26 am by Donnybob »
A 'mimi' crisis?

Nah, more of a 'Me, me!' crisis.

I want, I want, I want, and if I don't get I'll scream and scream and scream...

Get real children. We're a very small club in a very big league and we've come an incredibly long way in a very short time.

In the real world lots of small companies see massive growth and expansion far too quickly only to go bust at the first sign of a squeeze. Happens all the time when they reach too far, too quickly.

Talk of the Prem is pie in the sky fantasizing - and there's nowt wrong with that - but the reality is we're more likely to be a yo-yo club between Championship and League One for a few years yet. Our fan base has increased nearly 400 per cent in ten years because they've seen success after success. Stabilty isn't good enough for a lot of these folk.

I'll bet that 95% of those who scream that the board should gamble, or should spend an equivalent proportion of their wealth to those supporters who's only income is a paper round or a job in MacDonalds, arrived in the last 7 years or are struggling to grow pubic hair.

Look at the small clubs who went into the big boys league and tell me where they are now...

Luton, Bradford, Oxford, Southampton, Norwich, Barnsley, Leeds, Wimbledon, Watford, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, QPR, Middlesborough, Derby, Nottm Forest, Leicester, Portsmouth, Hull.

Can you see the common thread? Practically every one of these clubs have/had bigger support and greater resources than us. They virtually all ended up worse off for the experience financially. There's only room for 20 clubs in the Prem and of those you might say a dozen are established 'giants'. The rest are clinging on to survival despite the massive income streams.

The lucky ones, like West Brom, yo-yo.

We'd be looking at one season and then what? Oblivion? Err, no thanks, I'll take a rain check on that.

A small group of clubs, albiet much bigger than we are, have managed to stay the course admirably - Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham - all with massive investment from benevolent owners. Yet sooner or later they'll take a tumble and that's when the cracks will emerge.

I'll take 5 seasons of cautious management, clinging on to survival in this league and then see whether the fan base has stabilised, grown, or simply grown bored with the novelty. Then, maybe, with good management, and a carefully worked exit plan, push for a chance of limelight.

This may not be popular with the mimi/ me-me's, but tough. This is my club. It has been for a lifetime and I want it to survive beyond that. We ain't Man U. We ain't Man City or Chelsea. Were plucky little Donny. Just accept that and you'll sleep better at nights.

This is the promised land. Anything else is a pipedream.

Leave the board and the management team alone to concentrate on doing what's right and we'll be fine. And just let me say this here and now. Before the next season (maybe two) is out, some of you lot will be calling for SOD's head and posting 'sack the board' messages because reality doesn't quite match your inflated expectations.

My bet is that if we went up and came straight back down those me-me's would do exactly the same.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 22, 2010, 10:07:48 am by Muttley »
What he said ^

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 22, 2010, 10:12:16 am by vaya »
What he said about him ^

jw2

« Reply #9 on May 22, 2010, 10:24:31 am by jw2 »
its the closed season.
fans get bored and start worrying about nothing if im honest,shut up stop moaning and enjoy your summer.

Every year we get this question.

Are we in a mini crisis?
NO!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 22, 2010, 10:26:25 am by wilts rover »
Donnybob wrote:
A 'mimi' crisis?

Look at the small clubs who went into the big boys league and tell me where they are now...

Luton, Bradford, Oxford, Southampton, Norwich, Barnsley, Leeds, Wimbledon, Watford, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, QPR, Middlesborough, Derby, Nottm Forest, Leicester, Portsmouth, Hull.

Missing from that list, Bradford City

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 22, 2010, 10:37:03 am by Drover »
wilts rover wrote:
Donnybob wrote:
A 'mimi' crisis?

:huh:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 22, 2010, 10:42:28 am by wilts rover »
Drover wrote:
wilts rover wrote:
Donnybob wrote:
A 'mimi' crisis?

anybody know a good optician? cheers

jw2

« Reply #13 on May 22, 2010, 10:48:19 am by jw2 »
wilts rover wrote:
Drover wrote:
wilts rover wrote:
Donnybob wrote:
A 'mimi' crisis?

anybody know a good optician? cheers

:laugh:

kybone

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 22, 2010, 11:11:01 am by kybone »
Some people just dont live in the real world im afraid. We have got the 5th or 6th lowest attendances in the league but this is not a new thing. its unrealistic to expect much else when we've come from so far down the leagues. Im quite happy at getting bigger or equal crowds to the likes of plymouth and preston to be honest. And of course there are always players out of contract. It happens at every club every year. Also look who went down this season... the Wendies. Dont you think they might be feeling like there in a little bit of a crisis? Even the likes of Sheff u with there crowds are having to cut their cloth accordingly this summer. I think thats a big reason why they want that bit more for sharp than they might have. Things always seem bad when you fail to get a player ( that you for some reason assumed was a definite signing) and when you lose players. But they get replaced and often with someone who turns out to be better in our case. We are far from a crisis so grow up and stop posting rubbish.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 22, 2010, 12:20:28 pm by Savvy »
Rovin Reporter wrote:

Take your point which appears to have been drowned out by the happy clappers. Someone mentioned the rewards that Blackpool may reap should they win today...proof that there is more than one strategy to get to where you want to be?  Of course, \"when we get there, we won't be there to make the numbers up\" will we?

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 22, 2010, 12:47:07 pm by DMnumber4 »
Rovin Reporter wrote:

I'll openly admit I can be quite negative about things, but this takes the biscuit! Roberts gave a good 4 years service for us, the last season was his best by some distance, but he is 32 and if we get this 24 year old lad Kennedy in, I'd be happy, he's won all sorts of awards.

On Shackell, he was undoubtedly the best centre half I've seen in a Rovers shirt, and whilst it's a blow, I do feel we can function without him. If Ward comes in, I'd consider that a significant signing.

As for significant signings, Wellens, Woods, I'd even say Chambers...and of course SHELTON MARTIS ffs!!

If you want these 'big' signings you're at the wrong club, go support Hull City who bankrupt themselves with the likes of Geovanni and Bullard.

We're Doncaster Rovers, we have to get the likes of Mills in and flog them for big money. We're a small fish in a big pond, and I'd rather be here as the underdog than the big fish in League 2 / Conference.

We're at a crossraods, we need to match players' and managements ambitions, which i think we're doing with the budget in place. SO'D seems happy to stay here, we haven't lost him, we haven't lost out on Sharp yet and if we can get the likes of JET wanting to come back it can be only a good thing!

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #17 on May 23, 2010, 12:15:14 am by topnotch_Donny »
German Rover wrote:
We all thought we were in a crisis last year and look what happened there, the good thing about the way we play is that it can turn a lesser player into a world beater, whoever we sign may not be the best known or most expensive player but they will want to play for us and have the ability to do well in our system

As much as that fills me with great confidence, it also makes me twitchy.

It’s nice to know that our system works, and that the work ethic coupled with the shape and tactics work fine (under SOD) but what is it that is going to keep the legend here?

We have to face it; we are working with super heroes here (I.e. Billy and SOD).

If our board don’t get it right, it could damage the club as we have never been at these lofty heights before or atleast in the generation that really counts, young ones

It’s a tough choice as we have a few on the books with legend statue especially SOD, SO WE MUST FUND HIM OR LOSE HIM AND LOSE POTENTIAL NEW FANS?

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #18 on May 23, 2010, 11:35:18 am by Rovin Reporter »
RobTheRover wrote:
Rovin Reporter.... you are so wide of the mark its untrue.

1) Name the 10 out of contract players.

2) Yes, Roberts has gone, and with the club's blessing.  We will get a younger, better player to replace Gareth.

3) We met Wolves valuation of Shackell and offered him a good wage package, but Barnsley came in with an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS wage package.  The lad couldnt possibly say no to what they are paying him.

4) Was Oster not a significant signing? I think he has eclipsed Wellens' achievements, so we actually improved after Wellens went.  And when that happened loads on here (myself included) felt it was the end of the world....

5) We nearly lost our manager because he is doing the right things?  Jesus wept, would you rather he did the wrong things?  Of course he is going to be on other club's radars, just as the best performing players are monitored.  As Sean says, thats football.  Cant get worked up about it.

6) Not sure what your final point is.  I dont think too many clubs will be thrilled at getting relegated, even with the new parachute payments in place.  The rest is just random words.

YOU are the administrator .of what? try engaging in the question, i said 8 9.or 10 players if YOU know then just say so , it was mentioned on the radio that we had 10 . John Oster was 6 months signing then another 6....Why ? MONEY? what players where we have spent money have we still got ?( if you know how many  say so!)as for \" SO'D AND the right things \" it is for that reason i was stating it!!  do you actually understand any of the points made ? ( i very mush doubt)i am a supporter and  your reply comments make me feel in no doubt that i should have my bumps felt for daring  voicing anything like an opinion  on this site site . YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR THOUGHTs TO YOUR SELF or JUSTIFY , LIKE ME FOR GOING IT ,IF ALL YOU CAN DO IS  TALK IS DRIVEL  because this reprents that IGNORANCE  I S NOT JUST JUST A LACK OF FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE, HIGHLIGHTING AN  INADEQUACEY YOU HAVE, IT IS ALSO YOUR  RUDENESS AND BEING UNCIVIL TO OTHERS .. prick!!!!!!!!!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 24, 2010, 12:36:19 am by BobG »
Can anyone translate this please? It's even worse than the first post. Is there a point in there anywhere? I'm buggered if I can find it. Mind you, from the tone and general ignorance of this I suspect it's hardly worth finding anyway.

BobG

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 24, 2010, 06:48:31 am by en aitch »
Are we in a mimi crisis...

no question mark but .....

Answer NO

The rest was just a rant ... as was the later contribution .... sorry Rovin Reporter I think that you're out of order - RobTheRover isn't a \"prick\" - it's already common knowledge that he's a \"t**t (of the highest order)\"  :D

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 24, 2010, 08:38:55 am by Alan Southstand »
What always amazes me, on this site, is how quickly people can turn to ridicule and abuse when a poster makes the effort to put down his thoughts and, usually, when they're not totally in-line with what (seemingly) the majority on here believe.

I know myself that I'm labelled a negative 'so and so' but all I ever do is post what my thoughts are - they're not to cause trouble or ridicule anyone, they're written out of whatever's going through my head at the time. The lesson here (to the original poster) is to read your post before submitting it, so the 'absolutely perfect English police' don't get started.

I think the moderators need to encourage debate, not ridicule it, otherwise this excellent site may turn into the most boring one!

JamieM

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 24, 2010, 11:10:49 am by JamieM »
True Alan debate should be encouraged, but Rovin isn't putting forward a decent argument. There is no debate to be had, he's just wrong.

Think of the last 7 years or so ffs! Think of where we've come from and then try and justify your rant Rovin. The highest league position in over 50 years, one of the most successful clubs in the past 10 years and arguably one of the best managers outside the PL. A brand new stadium, a 400% increase in attendance and arguably the best squad we've seen ever playing for the Rovers.

YET you still moan and whinge, get a grip you prick.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 24, 2010, 11:22:29 am by en aitch »
However .... Why is he a \"prick\" ?

Enthusiastic yes, but even though Alan refers to something he chooses to call \"the absolutely perfect English police\" it is quite important to structure your \"Opinion\" or \"Rant\" so that that opinion can be noted.

I have no issue with negativity, but I'm not keen on negativity being relabelled as \"Realism\".

If your opinion is that we're fcuked unless we buy big names that's fine - if your view is that there are lots of \"little names with potential\" who could fit the bill that's also fine ... have an opinion but when we've heard it a couple of dozen times please chill and wait a bit ...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 24, 2010, 12:44:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
True Alan debate should be encouraged, but Rovin isn't putting forward a decent argument. There is no debate to be had, he's just wrong.

Think of the last 7 years or so ffs! Think of where we've come from and then try and justify your rant Rovin. The highest league position in over 50 years, one of the most successful clubs in the past 10 years and arguably one of the best managers outside the PL. A brand new stadium, a 400% increase in attendance and arguably the best squad we've seen ever playing for the Rovers.

YET you still moan and whinge, get a grip you prick.

I think you've proved my point, there, single-handedly. Well done.

JamieM

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 24, 2010, 01:20:01 pm by JamieM »
Alan i love a bit of debate as long as a coherent argument is put forward.

Please put one forward as to how we are in a crisis? I would love to hear it.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 24, 2010, 01:51:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Rovin Reporter wrote:

YOU are the administrator .of what? try engaging in the question, i said 8 9.or 10 players if YOU know then just say so , it was mentioned on the radio that we had 10 . John Oster was 6 months signing then another 6....Why ? MONEY? what players where we have spent money have we still got ?( if you know how many  say so!)as for \" SO'D AND the right things \" it is for that reason i was stating it!!  do you actually understand any of the points made ? ( i very mush doubt)i am a supporter and  your reply comments make me feel in no doubt that i should have my bumps felt for daring  voicing anything like an opinion  on this site site . YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR THOUGHTs TO YOUR SELF or JUSTIFY , LIKE ME FOR GOING IT ,IF ALL YOU CAN DO IS  TALK IS DRIVEL  because this reprents that IGNORANCE  I S NOT JUST JUST A LACK OF FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE, HIGHLIGHTING AN  INADEQUACEY YOU HAVE, IT IS ALSO YOUR  RUDENESS AND BEING UNCIVIL TO OTHERS .. prick!!!!!!!!!

Please take that to your English Teacher and ask him whats wrong with it. Totally ineligible.

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 24, 2010, 01:56:11 pm by Smeg »
English teacher? I think Rovin Reporter is about 40 odd! He's no schoolboy that's for sure.  

:laugh:

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #28 on May 24, 2010, 02:03:11 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
what a kerfuffle over the question about the MIMI crisis.

now if memory serves me correctly MIMI'S was a school uniform outfitter on Netherhall Road, so what are all these rants about??

so a MIMI crisis would be not having the nametags ready to stitch into your clothes when you went on to big school.

when i were a lad, best way to get over a MIMI crisis was to go to CUTTRISS'S or HODGSON AND HEPWORTHS [the Harrods foodhall of Doncaster]

Jonathan

« Reply #29 on May 24, 2010, 02:29:51 pm by Jonathan »
JamieM wrote:
Alan i love a bit of debate as long as a coherent argument is put forward.

Please put one forward as to how we are in a crisis? I would love to hear it.

I think you are asking the wrong person, Alan did not say we are in a crisis, but merely defended the opening posters' right to an opinion as a vehicle for a debate. It seems that there is a consensus of opinion that we're not in a \"crisis,\" which I think is quite correct, but a forum would be pretty boring without an opening post from which to spark a discussion wouldn't it?

For my part, I think \"crisis\" is the wrong word, but we are at something of a crossroads which from what I've heard is a point that is recognised by the board. The summer has only just started so it's no time to be pressing any panic button, but can anyone honestly say they are not looking forward to a bit of good news on retaining more of the key out of contract players, Oster in particular?

By letting contracts run out in the way that we do, we are exposed to the potential for a mini-crisis, if that's what you'd prefer to call it. The modern game is increasingly reliant on a strong squad of players and right now we would struggle to get a first eleven from our contracted players, let alone a full squad. Compare it to where we've come from in the last decade and we're in dreamland obviously, but looking at the current position we have reached something of a crossroads. Our management and our better players will understandably attract interest from other clubs and ideally we'd surely like to tie people down to some longer term contracts (including several players that are entering their last year) and then build on that, otherwise you have to almost start again which is not ideal.

If we fail to retain and/or attract important players then it's not the end of the world and there will still be a Doncaster Rovers - those of us that were around in 1997 will always be appreciative of that, but as a continually progressive club we are at a stage whereby there are some very important decisions to be made. As with any decision, these can go either way, and maybe that's what the opening poster was trying to say.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012