Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 02:20:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Abysmal England.  (Read 5446 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Abysmal England.
« on June 12, 2010, 09:34:30 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Is it only me who doesnt see the fantastic display that ITV have been raving about this evening?

Rooney - did he play? World Class? Dont make me laugh.

Ledley King - true to form,as per his Club, cannot complete a full 90 minutes - why was he picked for the squad exactly?

Heskey - Why? Because Rooney likes playing along side him? That worked out well then.

Also why sub James Milner in the first half, was it simply because he got a booking. If so that is frankly ridiculous.

All in all a poor display against a poor US side who offered nothing and were there for the taking.

England with a chance of winning the World Cup - don't be delusional.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re:Abysmal England.
« Reply #1 on June 12, 2010, 09:38:25 pm by graingrover »
now I understand you really do not comprehend much about football do you !

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 12, 2010, 09:38:52 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Got that 100% right there TWD. That was awful, if Rovers played like that we would be going absolutely barmy!

VikingJames

« Reply #3 on June 12, 2010, 09:39:01 pm by VikingJames »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Is it only me who doesnt see the fantastic display that ITV have been raving about this evening?

Ledley King - true to form,as per his Club, cannot complete a full 90 minutes - why was he picked for the squad exactly?

Heskey - Why? Because Rooney likes playing along side him? That worked out well then.

Also why sub James Milner in the first half, was it simply because he got a booking. If so that is frankly ridiculous.

All in all a poor display against a poor US side who offered nothing and were there for the taking.

Rooney, I agree was very poor.
King was playing well up until his injury. He is in the squad because he is a quality defender, simple as.
I don't think you can knock Heskey. He played well apart from the 1-on-1 miss.
Milner had a stomach bug before the game and he obviously felt it in the game.

snods big brother

« Reply #4 on June 12, 2010, 09:49:22 pm by snods big brother »
TWD. A3R - I agree with grainrover you do not understand football

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 12, 2010, 09:49:32 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
VikingJames wrote:

Yep. But in a game void of chances a 1 on 1 miss counts for quite a lot. Im guessing theres an excellent reason why he's in the squad, cos despite being a Striker, it cant be his 2 goals he scored the whole of last season in The Premiership.

VikingJames wrote:

Milner had a stomach bug before the game and he obviously felt it in the game.

That explains that one then. Fair enough.

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 12, 2010, 09:52:55 pm by Smeg »
Thinwhiteduke you are a complete and utter bell end. That is all.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 12, 2010, 09:53:04 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
graingrover wrote:
now I understand you really do not comprehend much about football do you !

Oh! I await for you to explain that performance away then clever clogs.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 12, 2010, 09:53:31 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
snods big brother wrote:
TWD. A3R - I agree with grainrover you do not understand football

Ditto. As per post above.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 12, 2010, 09:59:52 pm by Al4475 »
Anyone enjoy the South Korea performance this aft? I know Greece were lacking a slice of anything remotely international class, but I felt the Koreans played some super stuff - could have been DRFC in a non-hooped red kit!

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 12, 2010, 10:07:26 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
England weren't great, but there is a huge gulf between great and abysmal.  And Milner was probably subbed because he was showing every sign of heading for a second yellow card.  I don't think that Capello can be blamed for taking that precaustionary step.

My only criticism was that Crouch should have come on about 10 minutes earlier.  Other than that, a reasonable performance and a reasonable result.  Don't forget that in '82, Italy went on to win the Cup after 3 draws in the group stage, and in '66 England started with a 0-0 against Uruguay

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 12, 2010, 10:12:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
From the BBC site, with the parts I particularly agree with highlighted:

\" England goalkeeper Robert Green suffered a World Cup nightmare as they were forced to settle for a disappointing draw in the opening game of their campaign against the United States.

Steven Gerrard gave coach Fabio Capello the perfect start to this South African mission when he slid Emile Heskey's pass beyond Tim Howard after only four minutes.

And while England rarely hit the heights, they were maintaining their advantage in relative comfort until five minutes before half-time when West Ham United's Green suffered the lapse that will haunt him.

Clint Dempsey offered an effort that was little more than pot luck from 25 yards, but Green hopelessly allowed the ball to squeeze through him and roll agonisingly over the line as he tried to recover.

England had opportunities to repair the damage, but Heskey once again illustrated his limitations in front of goal by shooting straight at Howard with only the keeper to beat.

Wayne Rooney, subdued for the most part, shot just wide, while substitute Shaun Wright-Phillips, on for the under-par Milner after only 30 minutes, saw his angled drive saved by Howard.

Capello will also have enjoyed finer nights in his illustrious career as his major decisions backfired. Green got the nod in goal but must now fear for his place against Algeria, while Milner looked far from fit following a virus after his surprise selection.

And to complete the set Ledley King, whose fitness was the subject of so much debate when Capello named his squad, lasted only 45 minutes after suffering a groin injury.

It exposed a glaring lack of pace in England's central defence, which was almost punished when Jozy Altidore raced past Carragher with embarrassing ease only for Green to apply some repairs to his shattered reputation by turning his shot on to the post.

England have plenty of time to regroup and progress, but this was an unsatisfactory night for Capello and his players.

Capello, unconvinced about James' fitness, chose Green ahead of the inexperienced Hart - on the surface a sensible decision but ultimately a costly one.

England's first-half performance was undistinguished, failing to build on the sort of start they would have craved before kick-off, scoring after only four minutes. Frank Lampard's pass was out of Rooney's reach, but Heskey played in Gerrard to score with the outside of his right foot.

The United States were allowed the luxury of plenty of possession, and England almost paid for their generosity when Landon Donovan's inviting cross was headed tamely wide by Altidore.

Milner, given his chance despite being laid low by illness in midweek, was off the pace and picked up a booking for fouling Steve Cherundolo before being replaced by Wright-Phillips on the half-hour.

England at least looked like holding their lead until the interval, however a moment of complete calamity engulfed Green. Dempsey's left-foot shot from 25 yards barely merited the label of speculative, but every aspect of Green's technique collapsed as he allowed the ball to squirm through his grasp and over the line.

To add to England's troubles, King failed to emerge after the break, being replaced by Carragher as Capello was forced into another change to his initial plans.

Heskey, having done so well to create Gerrard's goal, then demonstrated his lack of confidence in front of goal when he wasted a clear chance to restore England's lead after 52 minutes. Aaron Lennon put the striker through, but he never looked convincing and shot straight at Tim Howard.

England, however, were not looking comfortable and Altidore illustrated the lack of pace at the back to give them a real scare in the 64th minute. He outpaced Carragher in comfort, but Green made some amends for his earlier mistake by turning his angled shot on to the post.

Rooney had been relatively quiet, but almost surprised Howard with a snapshot from long-range that flew just wide. He then set up Wright-Phillips, but his effort was too close to Howard.

England then ran out of ideas as they tired - leaving Bob Bradley's side to celebrate a hard-earned point.\"

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 12, 2010, 10:26:30 pm by The L J Monk »
TWD - Another England football \"fan\" spouting absurd reactionary drivel. England were average, however to right them off already is nonsense.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #13 on June 12, 2010, 10:33:02 pm by GM-MarkB »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
From the BBC site, with the parts I particularly agree with highlighted:

\" England goalkeeper Robert Green suffered a World Cup nightmare as they were forced to settle for a disappointing draw in the opening game of their campaign against the United States.

Steven Gerrard gave coach Fabio Capello the perfect start to this South African mission when he slid Emile Heskey's pass beyond Tim Howard after only four minutes.

And while England rarely hit the heights, they were maintaining their advantage in relative comfort until five minutes before half-time when West Ham United's Green suffered the lapse that will haunt him.

Clint Dempsey offered an effort that was little more than pot luck from 25 yards, but Green hopelessly allowed the ball to squeeze through him and roll agonisingly over the line as he tried to recover.

England had opportunities to repair the damage, but Heskey once again illustrated his limitations in front of goal by shooting straight at Howard with only the keeper to beat.

Wayne Rooney, subdued for the most part, shot just wide, while substitute Shaun Wright-Phillips, on for the under-par Milner after only 30 minutes, saw his angled drive saved by Howard.

Capello will also have enjoyed finer nights in his illustrious career as his major decisions backfired. Green got the nod in goal but must now fear for his place against Algeria, while Milner looked far from fit following a virus after his surprise selection.

And to complete the set Ledley King, whose fitness was the subject of so much debate when Capello named his squad, lasted only 45 minutes after suffering a groin injury.

It exposed a glaring lack of pace in England's central defence, which was almost punished when Jozy Altidore raced past Carragher with embarrassing ease only for Green to apply some repairs to his shattered reputation by turning his shot on to the post.

England have plenty of time to regroup and progress, but this was an unsatisfactory night for Capello and his players.

Capello, unconvinced about James' fitness, chose Green ahead of the inexperienced Hart - on the surface a sensible decision but ultimately a costly one.

England's first-half performance was undistinguished, failing to build on the sort of start they would have craved before kick-off, scoring after only four minutes. Frank Lampard's pass was out of Rooney's reach, but Heskey played in Gerrard to score with the outside of his right foot.

The United States were allowed the luxury of plenty of possession, and England almost paid for their generosity when Landon Donovan's inviting cross was headed tamely wide by Altidore.

Milner, given his chance despite being laid low by illness in midweek, was off the pace and picked up a booking for fouling Steve Cherundolo before being replaced by Wright-Phillips on the half-hour.

England at least looked like holding their lead until the interval, however a moment of complete calamity engulfed Green. Dempsey's left-foot shot from 25 yards barely merited the label of speculative, but every aspect of Green's technique collapsed as he allowed the ball to squirm through his grasp and over the line.

To add to England's troubles, King failed to emerge after the break, being replaced by Carragher as Capello was forced into another change to his initial plans.

Heskey, having done so well to create Gerrard's goal, then demonstrated his lack of confidence in front of goal when he wasted a clear chance to restore England's lead after 52 minutes. Aaron Lennon put the striker through, but he never looked convincing and shot straight at Tim Howard.

England, however, were not looking comfortable and Altidore illustrated the lack of pace at the back to give them a real scare in the 64th minute. He outpaced Carragher in comfort, but Green made some amends for his earlier mistake by turning his angled shot on to the post.

Rooney had been relatively quiet, but almost surprised Howard with a snapshot from long-range that flew just wide. He then set up Wright-Phillips, but his effort was too close to Howard.

England then ran out of ideas as they tired - leaving Bob Bradley's side to celebrate a hard-earned point.\"

Yeah...abysmal  :dry:

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #14 on June 12, 2010, 10:38:40 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

I cant be arsed to read your post, and I cant be arsed to read the posts below either; however, I would like to say that England passed the ball at lightning pace compare to what has been thus far in  the world cup.

Even argies were slow as fook and got raving reviews, same as Mexico. Sorry but crisp snappy passing does it for me.

Well done England tonight, I honestly thought we'd get beat as we have a nation of tossers hoping they fail.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 12, 2010, 10:42:34 pm by RobTheRover »
I thought England played well tonight, and on another night would have run out winners by 3 or 4 goals.  USA had one real chance in the game, not the goal they scored, which was an easy take for the keeper, but the one Green pushed onto the post in the second half.

I guess it makes the next two England games interesting now.  Expect the boozers of Britain to be packed to the rafters a week on Wednesday, and offices and factories virtually empty, when England probably have to beat Slovenia to progress.  

More proof, if it were needed, that football is the new theatre.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Average England.
« Reply #16 on June 12, 2010, 10:47:02 pm by The L J Monk »
I still fancy them for the semis at least - not based on tonight's performance which was typical first game stuff, but on the draw. Every chance we'll get a 2nd rounder with Serbia/Australia followed by a quarter final with France/South Korea. Hardly fearsome fixtures, particularly for a team that won 9 out of 10 qualifiers, putting 9 goals past a decent Croatia team in the progress, and has one of the best players in the world based upon his performances in the qualifiers and in the Premiership week in week out.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 12, 2010, 11:00:16 pm by Old Popsider »
England had a far better start in the 1st half than the last 3 games they played, let's not forget that.

Rooney was a bit anonymous tonight but he didn't really get much service from other players.

Heskey did exactly what he was put on there for, he's a big lump with nuisance value and can bundle the opposition players around. Yes, he missed a sitter when he shot the ball straight at the keeper but he was effective when bossing the Yank players aorund.

Based on how the team did tonight, I think next game England will pick up all 3 points.

VikingJames

« Reply #18 on June 12, 2010, 11:03:57 pm by VikingJames »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

Yep. But in a game void of chances a 1 on 1 miss counts for quite a lot. Im guessing theres an excellent reason why he's in the squad, cos despite being a Striker, it cant be his 2 goals he scored the whole of last season in The Premiership.

He is in the squad because he brings a different element to the England forward line.

His control is not perfect and his composure in front of goal is lacking, but the way he holds the ball up and brings others into play is a quality that no other England strikers (that I can think of) have in their locker. Added to the fact that he won just about every aerial ball that was fired up to him.

The problem tonight was that Rooney did sod all. He didn't anticipate anything that Heskey did, and at the end of the day, if his strike partner doesn't take advantage of his contribution, then Heskey ends up looking equally as bad.

I know every player has their off days, but for me Rooney has done nothing in the last 5 or 6 England international games. If he is the man that we are pinning our hopes on, then he needs to improve.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 13, 2010, 12:27:22 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
RobTheRover wrote:
I thought England played well tonight, and on another night would have run out winners by 3 or 4 goals.  USA had one real chance in the game, not the goal they scored, which was an easy take for the keeper, but the one Green pushed onto the post in the second half.

I guess it makes the next two England games interesting now.  Expect the boozers of Britain to be packed to the rafters a week on Wednesday, and offices and factories virtually empty, when England probably have to beat Slovenia to progress.  

More proof, if it were needed, that football is the new theatre.

Agreed, we have work to do and I think the loss of Barry has a huge effect on the team.  However, tonight we played ok and probably should have won the game.  Certainly dominant for times.  Rooney had a poor one and didn't get involved enough but the USA were well drilled defensively.  They never showed any adventure but they did stay organised and credit to them.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 13, 2010, 12:35:27 am by eastender »
RobTheRover wrote:
 USA had one real chance in the game, not the goal they scored, which was an easy take for the keeper, but the one Green pushed onto the post in the second half.

You must have been having a slash when Altidore missed that sitter on the 20 minute mark.? :huh:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 13, 2010, 01:19:47 am by mushRTID »
Well im sure that performance pleased those on here that prefer to slag the England team off at every opportunity.

Personally I love watching England. But for f**k sake, that was awful tonight wasnt it? All the hope I had before the world cup started has just gone. Was Rooney even playing? What did Lampard do? I thought Heskey was one of our better players but sod what he did, Heskey doesnt score goals so lets all slag him off like our taxi driver did tonight, obviously didnt watch big Emiles performace.

We will still go through, but that was a big wake up call to me and from thinking we have a chance I now know not to expect much in the coming weeks.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 13, 2010, 02:09:11 am by rtid88 »
I have always been very optimistic that England would do well in the World Cup and was hoping after the incredibly poor performances in the friendlies against Mexico, Japan and the Platinum Stars that they may wake up a bit today and perform.

After a terrific start they were awful in my opinion! Rooney was not in the game, yeah he was marked heavily, but by poor defenders, was Messi not marked heavily by Nigeria, but his class still was there to see by all. I cannot really name a single player from the England team that had a good game!

After that performance we really will struggle to make a serious challenge for the cup. Capello cannot be blamed if his players simply cannot be arsed to play. Looking at the 2 team sheets, England should have simply hammered that USA team today but were 2nd in possesion for the majority of the game. Poor very poor!!!!!

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 13, 2010, 02:37:57 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »
I thought England were pretty decent tonight. We seemed more disciplined than we have been for a while anyway. Green apart, the only player to have a bad game was Rooney, and he spent 90 mins with two defenders hanging off him, so can't really be blamed for that.

Having said that though, I don't think England are in the same class as Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy and probably a few others.

Gerrard pulled his finger out for a change which is a good sign and my only gripe with Capello apart from apparently not informing Green he was in goal until the day before, is that for some reason he rates Wright-Phillips above Cole.

DonnyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 13, 2010, 03:12:57 am by DonnyRover »
heskey played well in fact :P and ledley king played well should we have rio with his injured knee instead then? :silly:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 13, 2010, 07:00:53 am by PDX_Rover »
Not that disappointed.  Heskey is not up to the task and never has been though.  Green's stupid error gifted the US a goal and on another day, England might have score 4 or 5.  That's football.  I think we will qualify and do well.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 13, 2010, 08:55:17 am by The Red Baron »
Calling the performance abysmal is probably going too far, but for me it was not the performance of a side that is going far in the competition.

I tried to take a leaf out of SO'D's book and look at performance not result. If Green hadn't made that howler, everyone would be celebrating the fact that we'd won the opening game 1-0, yet for me it was an unconvincing display all round. Starting with the manager: how Milner, who was patently unfit, started the game when Joe Cole and Wright-Phillips were available beggared belief.

Then there were the players. I thought Terry, Gerrard and the two full-backs did well and Heskey exceeded expectations. He did a good job as a target man- it was not his fault that Rooney and Lampard constantly failed to make runs off him- although when he did get the chance to finish he reminded me of dear old Lewis Guy.

Lennon and Wright-Phillips provided plenty of pace but little in the way of end product. Memo to both- when crossing a ball you need to aim for a target, not just sling it over and hope for the best. FFS- I thought that was why Walcott was spending his summer in Magaluf rather than the RSA!

Lampard (unlike Gerrard) seems unable to work without the safety net of a holding man and therefore never made a decent forward run. The result was that we had little link play between the forwards and midfield. And Rooney looked lost. Apart from a brief period in the second half you would hardly have known he was playing. For all the plaudits heaped on the US defence I actually thought they were weak and if that is the best Rooney can manage, I doubt he'll be a factor in this World Cup.

We've also got a major problem at centre-back. King's inability to train fully always makes him prone to strains and he's picked up another. Carragher is not the answer as he is too one-paced to be an effective partner for Terry so we'll be going in with a fourth or fifth choice centre back.

Not abysmal, but not very promising. I suspect England will be on the plane home the day after they meet a side any better than ordinary in this World Cup.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 13, 2010, 09:43:44 am by Filo »
All this Heskey knocking, but no one seems to mention that it was his pass into the path of Gerrard that set up the England goal, thats the reason he`s in the team, he brings others into play, as well as being good at holding the ball up.

The only criticism i`ve got is that I think Joe Cole should have started on the left and the Premierships top keeper this season, Joe Hart should have started.......

and another thing! Why does Lennon run like a girl?   :laugh:

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 13, 2010, 10:02:55 am by charleydrfc »
Filo wrote:
All this Heskey knocking, but no one seems to mention that it was his pass into the path of Gerrard that set up the England goal, thats the reason he`s in the team, he brings others into play, as well as being good at holding the ball up.

The only criticism i`ve got is that I think Joe Cole should have started on the left and the Premierships top keeper this season, Joe Hart should have started.......

spot on

and another thing! Why does Lennon run like a girl?   :laugh:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 13, 2010, 11:13:45 am by DonnyNoel »
eastender wrote:
RobTheRover wrote:
 USA had one real chance in the game, not the goal they scored, which was an easy take for the keeper, but the one Green pushed onto the post in the second half.

You must have been having a slash when Altidore missed that sitter on the 20 minute mark.? :huh:

Lol, I was just going to post the same. Good game, good performance, probably a fair result against a well drilled team with some very decent players. Given how slowly we usually start tournaments it was probably the best game to have first. Have to agree with one of the earlier posts too - some of the England passing was much crisper than anything seen so far. No need to panic.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012